On September 18, 1940, a meeting was held by Curt Hering, Victor Kleine, Hermann Muller Hering, Victor Hering, Ingo Hering, Erich Steimbach, Ralph Gross, Max Tavares do Amaral, and Adolpho Schmalz in the Hering Chamber of Blumenau to establish a company named Indústria Salto Grande S.A. The purpose of the company was to manufacture wood pulp and generate a supply of electricity for the population of Salto Grande.
The name Salto Grande was chosen because the location was on the bank of the Itajaí do Sul River, near a waterfall known as Salto Grande, which was the original name of the Municipality of Ituporanga.
On May 22, 1949, Companhia Fábrica de Papel Itajaí took over the equity of Indústria Salto Grande S.A through its partners Irineu Bornhausen, Hercílio Deeck, and Abdon D. Schmit, and renamed it Companhia Fábrica de Papel Itajaí. The company remained under the possession of these partners until April 1972 when control passed to another group, owned by Antonio Odorczick and was once again renamed Pinho Fibras Ltda
On April 23, 1974, Induma Indústria de Madeira S.A, through its CEO Mr. Hermann Herinch Purnhagen and Mr. Geraldo Ricardo Siegel, Güinter Germano Purnhagen, Carlos Heinz Walter Purnhagen, Horst Gerhard Purnhagen, Germano Emilio Purnhagen, Gerold Roland Purnhagen, and Manfred Georg Schonberger, decided to set up a new company with the purpose of producing, industrializing, and marketing mechanical pulp, cardboard, and related products, as well as making, maintaining, and encouraging forestry and reforestation.
It was then, in 1976, that a new corporate change was made. Pinho Fibras Ltda was incorporated into Induma Indústria de Madeira S/A, and a new phase of expansion began, funded by the new shareholders. In 1979, the company started planning a reorganization, including improvements in its production and making minor renovations to its existing facilities.
In 1980, the factory itself was transformed into a paper mill and was renamed again to its definitive name of Águas Negras S.A. Indústria de Papel. Since its inauguration, the factory's main raw material has been waste paper (OCC), which means that our production of paper causes less damage to the environment in addition to alleviating the problem caused by the generation of urban waste. Our raw material is purchased in São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina, and Rio Grande do Sul, and our products are sold throughout Brazil, in addition to exports to Mercosul.
Historically, the company has been deeply concerned with the environment, maintaining and protecting thousands of hectares of native forests, in addition to its own sustainably managed forests. In addition to using raw material that could become urban waste, the company works within strict standards of water treatment and filtering of possible soot from the steam boiler, thus seeking to avoid any damage to the local environment.
Currently, the company has more than 100 highly specialized and trained employees and is one of the main employers in the municipality of Ituporanga. It is a conscientious employer that invests heavily in safety and training and promotes careers within the company.
EVOLUTION OF OUR LOGO:
The original logo was developed by Hermann H. Purnhagen for the company Lidar, a manufacturer of steamers for wood in 1951. In 1976, the logo was adopted by the company Águas Negras.
Over the years, several adjustments were carried out the most recent being in 2020 when the logo was restyled based on the original by Gerold R. Purnhagen. Some colors were changed, and there was a slight adjustment of the positioning of some details of the image. Also, new in 2020, two circles were removed to make the logo lighter and more approachable.
Today the logo of Águas Negras SA Indústria de Papel is contained in a perfect white circle with the expression ÁGUAS NEGRAS S.A. at the top and INDÚSTRIA DE PAPEL at the bottom in dark green. The expressions are separated on both sides by nine curved black lines.
In the center of the logo, there is a stylized image of a brown cinnamon tree. The tree culminates in five peaks, all crowned by three ovals representing Araucaria pine cones, symbolizing fertility. These ovals are dark green.
The logo conveys the idea of a modern and environmentally friendly company that honors its history while looking confidently to the future